- verb to become steady and not change, or to make something remain without change
- verb to take measures to prevent soil being eroded, especially from a hillside
- verb to make a foodstuff stable, or to become stable
- verb to make sure that a casualty has a healthy breathing pattern and pulse and that he or she is in a comfortable position while awaiting medical attention
- to remove any residual particles of yeast or protein or tartaric acid crystals from a wine that might cause the wine to go cloudy. Wine can be stabilised at a warm temperature by using a fining agent that collects the particles as it drifts slowly down through the wine, collecting as sediment at the bottom of the vat. It can also be stabilised by cooling the wine to a very low temperature at which any particles of tartaric acid drift to the bottom and can be removed.