- interjection a substance that prevents a chemical change taking place
- noun an artificial substance added to plastics to prevent degradation
- noun an artificial substance added to processed food such as sauces containing water and fat to stop the mixture from changing.
- noun a device to improve the tendency of an aircraft to return to its original attitude after being deflected
- noun a substance added to food to keep it stable
- noun a piece put on the hull of a ship to prevent it from rolling