- noun a substance used to increase contrast in the colour of something such as a piece of tissue or a bacterial sample before examining it under a microscope
- verb to make a coloured mark on a surface
- verb to treat something such as a piece of tissue or a bacterial sample with a dye so as to increase contrast in the colour before examining it under a microscope
- Color in a dissolving vehicle. When spread on wood or similar material, the stain penetrates and gives color to the material.
- A discoloration in the surface of a material, such as wood or plastic.
- noun a substance used to give colour to tissues which are going to be examined under the microscope
- verb to give the edges of pages a permanent colour
- adjective bad, unpleasant, disappointing. The adjectival usage dates from around 2000.
- noun an unfashionable, tedious individual or a swot. This term of contempt was in use among university students in the late 1980s. It is usually a synonym of anorak; unbeknown to most users it is short for wank stain, i.e. a despicable nonentity.