- The pointing device of a digitizing tablet. It is similar to a mouse, but is much more accurate, because its location is determined by touching an active surface with an absolute reference. Also called cursor (4), pen (1), or puck.
- The pointing device of a PDA, which serves for selection or input. Also called pen (2).
- A pointed object which extends from a phonographic pickup, and which serves to follow the undulations of the grooves of a phonographic disc and transmit them as vibrations to said pickup. Such an object is usually made of a metal needle with a diamond or sapphire tip. Also called needle (3), or phonograph needle.
Information & Library Science
- noun a small pointed object which is used in computer graphics to direct the cursor
- noun the jewel-tipped needle of a record player that rests in the grooves of a record as it revolves and transmits vibrations to the cartridge
- noun a long thin instrument used for applying antiseptics or ointments to the skin