- noun a small character that is printed lower than the other characters.
- noun a small character which is printed below the line of other characters.
- adjective referring to characters that are printed on a lower level than other characters in a line of type
- noun a character that is printed on a level lower than the rest of the characters on the line, e.g. the ‘2’ in the chemical formula ‘H2O’
- noun a figure printed in a smaller size and lower down than a normal figure, i.e. below the base line.