- verb to spend the summer in a place
- noun the season following spring and before autumn, when the weather is warmest, the sun is highest in the sky and most plants flower and set seed
- A horizontal beam supporting floor joists or a wall of a superstructure.
- Any heavy timber that serves as a bearing surface.
- A lintel of a door or window.
- A stone set on a column as a support for construction above, such as a base for a column-supported arch.
- noun a principal horizontal beam in a building used to support floor joists.
- noun a stone that lies on top of a pier, column or wall and supports one or more arches
- noun the warmest season of the year following spring, when plants begin to make fruit
- synonymsumming circuit
- synonymsumming amplifier
- An amplifier whose output is proportional to the sum of two or more inputs. Also called summer (2).
Origin & History of “summer”
is a general
relatives in German and Danish sommer
, Dutch zomer
, and Swedish sommar
. It goes back
ultimately to an Indo-European base
-, which also
produced Welsh haf
‘summer’ and Sanskrit sámā