- noun giving in to an enemy because you have lost
- verb to accept that you have been defeated by someone else
- noun the act of giving up of an insurance policy before the contracted date for maturity
- noun the abandonment of legal rights, especially the giving up of a lease or an insurance policy before it has expired
- verb to give in a document or a right
- verb to hand over something to someone
Origin & History of “surrender”
To surrender is etymologically to ‘give up’. The word was borrowed from Old French surrendre ‘deliver over, give up’, a compound verb formed from the prefix sur- ‘over’ and rendre ‘give, deliver’ (source of English render).