- plural noun the network for passing and receiving messages over a distance by systems such as telephone, satellite and radio
- plural noun systems of passing messages over long distances (by cable, radio, etc.)
- noun the technology of passing and receiving messages over a distance, as in radio, telephone, telegram, satellite broadcast, etc.
- The science dealing with the use of electrical, electromagnetic, optical, or acoustic means to transmit information between two or more points. In addition to the modes, mechanisms, and media used for this purpose, the term also encompasses all efforts to advance this field.
Information & Library Science
- noun the science and technology of using electronic equipment to send messages over a distance
- noun the science and technology of transmitting information electronically by wires or radio signals with encoding and decoding equipment