- The switching center for interconnecting telephone lines that terminate at the central station switch.
- A structure which houses one or more telephone switching systems. At this location, customer lines terminate and are interconnected with each other, in addition to being connected to trunks, which may also terminate there. A typical central office handles about 10,000 subscribers, each with the same area code plus first three digits of the 10 digit telephone numbers. Its abbreviation is CO. Also called telephone central office, central office, exchange (1), or local central office.
- synonymtelephone central office
Information & Library Science
- noun a building where telephone lines can be connected when a call is made
- noun a central office where the telephones of a whole district are linked