- noun a state of hostility between countries, races, or groups
- noun a strained condition resulting from forces acting in opposition to each other
- The potential difference or electromotive force between two points, such as those in a circuit, expressed in volts, or in multiples of volts, such as kilovolts or millivolts. Also called voltage.
- The condition of being stretched or pulled, often tightly. Also, the process or act of so stretching or pulling.
- A force creating and/or maintaining a tension (2).
- noun the act of stretching or the state of being stretched
- noun an emotional strain or stress
- noun a period when relations between states are difficult and they may take action against each other
- noun the tightness of a web of paper as it passes through a printing press