Théâtre de l' Ambigu
- A theater in Paris that opened in 1769 on the Boulevard du Temple as a venue for children's plays and puppet shows. From 1797 onwards it became a leading theater for melodramas by such writers as Pixerecourt and Bouchardy. It burned down in 1827 and was rebuilt in 1828 on the Boulevard Saint-Martin, where it became associated with the new Romantic drama of Hugo and Dumaspère. The second Ambigu was demolished in 1971. see Boulevard theaters.