- noun a logoff procedure carried out if no data is entered on an online terminal
- noun a period of time reserved for an operation
- A condition in which a predetermined time interval for a given event is exceeded. Once this interval elapses the desired process is stopped, and an error message is displayed. For example, a Web browser will eventually timeout if a requested Web page is provided by a Web server that is down.
- A specific instance of a timeout (1).
- To exceed the time required to generate a timeout (1) condition.