- verb to put written or spoken words into another language
- verb to put something which is said or written in one language into another language
- verb to change something into another form
- verb to convert data from one form into another
- To convert one language, such as a computer language, into another.
- In computers, to convert from one format, such as that of data or a file, into another.
- To convert from one format, function, system, or level, to another.
- In computer graphics, to change the position of an image or object on the screen without rotating said image or object.
Information & Library Science
- verb to change information from one language or format to another
- verb to convert ideas into action
Origin & History of “translate”
something is etymologically to ‘carry it across’ from
one language into another. The word
was acquired from trānslātus
, the past participle
of Latin trānsferre
, translate’ (source
of English transfer