- A device, software, hardware, system, or person which converts one language into another.
- In computers, an application which serves to convert one language into another. For example, from a high-level language into machine language, or from a natural language to a programming language.
- In computers, that which serves to convert from one format, such as that data or a file, into another.
- That which serves to change from one format, function, system, or level, to another. For example, a frequency translator, or a level translator.
Information & Library Science
- noun a person who converts text and spoken words from one language to another
- noun a laptop computer that translates words into other languages
- noun a radio transmitter that receives a signal on one frequency and retransmits it on another
- noun somebody who translates