- noun a chip which converts asynchronous serial bit streams to a parallel form or parallel data to a serial bit stream.
- acronym foruniversal asynchronous receiver/transmitter
- Abbreviation of Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter. A chip or circuit utilized to transmit and receive data asynchronously via a computer serial port. It has a parallel-to-serial converter for data being transmitted from the CPU, and a serial-to-parallel converter for data being received by the CPU. In addition, a UART provides buffering, and handles interrupts generated by the keyboard and mouse, among other functions.
- acronym forUniversal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter
- noun a chip which converts an asynchronous serial bit stream to a parallel form or parallel data to a serial bit stream.