- noun an invisible light which has a very short wavelength beyond the violet end of the spectrum and causes tanning and burning.
- plural noun the short invisible rays, beyond the violet end of the colour spectrum, which form the tanning and burning element in sunlight
- electromagnetic radiation in the ultraviolet region. Sources of such radiation include celestial bodies, interstellar matter, and mercury-vapor and mercury arc lamps. Its abbreviation is UV radiation. Also called ultraviolet light, ultraviolet rays, or ultraviolet energy.
- abbreviationUV radiation
- synonymultraviolet energy
- synonymultraviolet light
- synonymultraviolet rays
- noun short invisible rays of ultraviolet light.
- noun short invisible rays, beyond the violet end of the colour spectrum, which form the tanning and burning element in sunlight