- adjective referring to or occurring in the invisible part of the light spectrum beyond violet.
- Literally beyond violet in the color spectrum. A minor component of the sun's radiation, it is also produced artificially in arc lamps.
- Within the electromagnetic spectrum, the portion extending from the upper limit of visible light, to the longest X-rays. This encompasses from approximately 4 to 400 nanometers. This interval itself is subdivided into the near, far, and extreme ultraviolet regions. Also called ultraviolet region, or ultraviolet range.
- Pertaining to, generating, detecting, utilizing, or sensitive to ultraviolet radiation.
- adjective used for describing the range of invisible radiation wavelengths just greater than those of the visible spectrum.
- adjective referring to the short invisible rays beyond the violet end of the spectrum, which form the element in sunlight which tans the skin, helps the skin produce Vitamin D and kills bacteria.