- noun the state of not having any work
- noun the number of people in a country or region who are willing to work but cannot find jobs
- noun a situation in which people have no jobs
- (written as Unemployment)The definitions vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but most follow the following general character: the number of jobless people who are available for work and are actively seeking it. The fact that unemployment can both be caused by and be a cause of ill-health is, of course, a field of study for health economists.
- noun a situation where a person is willing to work but cannot find a job