uninterruptible power supply
- An electrical supply system that will continue to provide current during a power outage.
- A device or system which provides continuous power whether the primary source, such as mains AC, fluctuates irregularly or fails. Such a source may consist of one or more batteries, or of a generator. An uninterruptible power supply may provide the power needs of devices and/or equipment through brownouts and blackouts, and in the case of computers affords time for properly executed shutdowns which help protect against data losses and equipment damage. Also called uninterruptible power system, or uninterruptible power source. Its abbreviation is UPS.
- synonymuninterruptible power source
- synonymuninterruptible power system
- noun a safety system of supplying power to equipment, which has a back up source if the main source should fail.