- noun a small movable scale parallel to the main scale of some measuring instruments such as calipers
Cars & Driving
- noun a short graduated scale that slides along a longer graduated instrument and is used to indicate fractional parts of divisions, as in a micrometer
- An auxiliary scale that slides along a larger scale and allows more accurate interpretation of subdivisions.
- An auxiliary scale located alongside, or attached to, the main graduated scale of an instrument. This additional scale allows for the accurate measurement of fractional parts of the smallest divisions within the larger scale. Also called vernier scale.
- A device or mechanism which assists in the fine tuning of a device or instrument.