- A device that converts images formed by lenses into electric signals. A photosensitive surface in the contained camera tube serves as the transducer which converts the optical image into electric video signals suitable for broadcasting, recording, or the like. Also known as TV camera, camera (2), or telecamera.
- A video camera (1) primarily designed for recording videotapes, as opposed to broadcasting live. Used, for instance, in camcorders.
Information & Library Science
- noun a portable camera for taking videos
- noun a camera that records onto videotape
- noun a camera which records video pictures