- noun a simulation of a real-life scene or environment by a computer
- A reality which is simulated, especially with the assistance of computers. A computer-assisted virtual reality may incorporate 3D graphics combined with special goggles which track the path of the user's vision, so that the virtual environment can be changed appropriately, plus sound effects, smells, changes in temperature, a body suit equipped with motion sensors, and so on, to faithfully replicate real surroundings and stimuli. Used, for instance, for training, education, or entertainment.
- The perception of reality experienced by a person or other being in a virtual reality (1).
Information & Library Science
- noun an electronic environment created by a computer which appears to be real to the viewer
- noun the use of multimedia technology e.g. headsets, video displays, body tracking motion sensors etc., to create the illusion of a three-dimensional alternate universe