- noun an element in a dynamic microphone which vibrates when sound waves strike it causing variations in an electrical signal
- noun an element in a dynamic microphone which vibrates when sound waves strike it and cause variations in an electrical signal
- noun an element in a loudspeaker that vibrates according to a signal and so produces sound waves
- In a dynamic speaker, a coil which is connected to the diaphragm, and through which an audio frequency signal current is sent to move said coil in a piston-like manner, thus producing a sound wave output. Also called speaker voice coil, or loudspeaker voice coil.
- A motor that incorporates a coil and which is utilized to move an access arm in a disk drive. Such motors tend to be faster and more reliable than stepper motors utilized in this capacity.