- noun the ability of a computer to recognise specific words produced by a human voice and to provide a suitable response
Cars & Driving
- noun the ability of a computer to recognize a command spoken by the user; enables a driver to use a car phone without using his hands
- noun the ability of a computer to recognise certain words in a human voice and provide a suitable response
- The ability of a device, piece of equipment, computer, or system, to detect and recognize spoken words. A speech recognition system, for instance, must be able to properly identify all phonemes of a given language to properly process speech. A computer so enabled converts spoken words into commands, text, or the like. A computer so enabled converts spoken words into commands, text, or the like, for activating features, entering text, surfing the Internet, engaging in a voice chat, and so on. Also used, for instance, in an interactive voice response system.
- A specific instance of voice recognition (1).
- The technology employed in voice recognition (1). Also called voice-recognition technology.