Cars & Driving
- noun an electric or electronic device which regulates the voltage output from a dynamo or alternator which is affected by engine speed, the power required by the circuits and the state of the battery
- noun a device which provides a steady output voltage even if the input supply varies
- A control device within an electrical system that automatically keeps the voltage supply constant despite variable line voltage at the point of input.
- A component, circuit, or device which maintains an output voltage within specified values, despite variations in variables such as load resistance, line voltage, or temperature, so long as they are within a prescribed range. Also called voltage corrector, voltage stabilizer, or automatic voltage regulator.
- synonymvoltage corrector
- synonymvoltage stabilizer