- noun a plant that grows where it is not wanted, e.g. a poppy in a wheat field
Information & Library Science
- verb to remove old and outdated items
- combining form
(written as -weed)a disguised or milder version of -wad, attached to the same words, as in dick-weed, puss-weed, etc.
- noun marihuana. The plant cannabis sativa, which yields marihuana leaves, grows like a weed in warm dry climates and somewhat resembles nettles.
- noun a weak, ineffectual person. This usage, beloved of schoolboys in the 1950s and 1960s, is inspired by the visual comparison with a thin etiolated plant.
- noun a system of extra, unofficial work or a scheme yielding unofficial or illicit income. This sense of the word, used by workers and fairground employees among others, is probably obsolete now. It is related to the following verb form.