- noun an order by a government or local council that an area of land shall be used only for a specific type of building or for a specific purpose, e.g. agricultural, industrial, recreational or residential
- The reservation of certain specified areas within a community or city for buildings and structures, use of land, or purposes with limitations (such as height, lot coverage, and other stipulated requirements).
- Dividing a building into sections for heating and cooling purposes.
- A network of trenches that may contain coarse aggregate and distribution pipe, and is used to distribute septic tank effluent into the surrounding soil. See also disposal field, drain field.
- noun the dividing of a town into different areas for planning purposes
- The creation, assignment, determination, or division of something into zones.
- noun an order by a local council that land shall be used only for one type of building